All my favorite things today: a full moon, yoga and sweet treats! It truly is a fantastic way to nourish ourselves and prepare for all that is to come in 2017. Baking in the winter is so wonderful not only because it fills the air with deliciousness but also warms the home from the heart. So enjoy these sugar cookies, stoke your fire and shine brilliantly on this last Super Moon of the year.
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with electric mixer on medium-high until smooth.
- Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Add the vanilla on low.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and add it slowly to the butter mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff).
- Refrigerate, wrapped, for 60 minutes…perfect time to go do some moon salutations!
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into circles (think full moon!).
- Bake 8-10 minutes until the edges are a light golden brown.
- To prepare icing combine all ingredients stirring until smooth.
- Once cookies are cooled cover with a thin layer of icing and top with gold sprinkles.
- Happy Full Moon!